Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week3

This is my research topic explained. This is the direction I want to go this year. I am not sure if it is a solid idea yet.

‘The Viability of Integrating Modes of Animation in Contemporary Cinema’

In my Honours year I will be researching the technique of combining 2D and 3D animation in contemporary cinema. I will be focusing on the use of the perception of depth on screen using 2D and 3D elements. This technique can be an alternative visual avenue worth exploring.

The feature length films Titan A.E. (2000), Treasure Planet (2002) and Tekkonkinkreet (2006) have each employed this hybrid technique of combining the two types of animation in new ways. I will compare these separate projects and discuss the advantages and disadvantages and how they overcame issues relating to the integrating of 2D and 3D on such large scale projects. This will also do an image analysis of the three films.

I believe this a great opportunity to discover something new. I believe that in this day and age of animation we need to keep exploring this creative medium even more. One way of pushing the boundaries is to have another good look at the art of integrating these two mediums of animation to discover new ways to tell stories to the next generation.

My general strategies to finalize my studio research will be to produce a short animation of 3-4minutes in length that uses 2D and 3D. I will use computer hardware and software that allow to build and animate and composite together a film.

Here is the short 3D animated Film I produced last year. I also built the website.
http://www.outpost-film.com

This honours year I will produce a short animation of 3-4minutes in length that employs these 2D and 3D devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment